Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Happy Anniversary to Us!

I woke up this morning at around 7am to take the dog, Aspen, outside for her morning ritual. Fortunately, it had not snowed any more during the night, so there was only about 12 inches of fresh powder on the ground. Before I ventured outside I checked the indoor/outdoor thermometer. It showed the current temperature to be 9 degrees and the low during the night had gotten down to 8 degrees. I took Aspen out and let her romp for a while. After about 5 minutes she was lifting her paws one at a time as though she had hurt them. I finally realized she was lifting them out of the snow because the poor doggy’s doggies were COLD! I took her inside to warm up.

Today is the 14th Wedding Anniversary of Tamara and me. I would have liked to lie in the nice warm bed for a while, but got out of bed for two reasons – the aforementioned doggy duties, and Wednesdays are trash days. I had to go down to the store and set out the trash at the curb. Due to city ordinances written to keep the critters out of the trash (like crows, dogs, and in the summer time, bears!), we are not able to set the trash out the night before and stay snug as a bug in bed the next morn. So I went down to prep the trash (more on that another time) and set it outside.

After I had completed the weekly rubbish routine, I headed over to the local Backstreet Bagels shop to get breakfast to go for Tamara and me. They make a great Omelet, amongst other delectable dishes, and I took it home with the intent of sitting in bed and partaking of the warm fare. As I walked in the door and stared up the stairway to our bedroom, I could see Tamara had already dressed. She stated that it was pretty warm already in the bedroom. We have large south-facing windows that allow the solar energy to do its thing when there is no cloud cover, as was the case this morning. After being in and out of the single digit weather for the last hour, I thought, “Pretty warm sounds good!” Then Tamara says, “Oh, how nice, you brought breakfast. Would you like to eat it in the sun on the deck?” My first reaction to myself was, “Hell, no. Do you know how cold it is out there?!” But then I gave it further thought, knew the sun was shining and there was no wind, and decided it may not be a bad idea, especially since I was already bundled up and by now it had warmed up to a balmy 15 degrees.

So we headed for the deck and sat outside on a crisp, clear, blue-sky, clean air, Ouray Colorado morning and enjoyed one of the many reasons we live here – and why we enjoy our lives together.

One Last Thing: In the winter do the evergreens ever pine for summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment